Hello, You've Found The Portal Wiki
—As seen on the Joe Rogan Experience!
416 Articles — 12,734 Edits
Eric Weinstein is a mathematician, Managing Director of Thiel Capital, and host of The Portal Podcast. His speaking on a breadth of topics ranging from physics and economics to culture and society form the basis of this wiki.
Eric is also developing Geometric Unity, a unifying theory of physics.
The Portal Community
We are a project-driven community spread over many interest areas and a variety of backgrounds. We are dreamers and doers who use the tension between these two states. If you are too, then find something that interests you and contribute what you can.
Graph, Wall, Tome
Fundamental physics seems unreachable for many. This project and its subprojects aim to map and convey the information necessary to understand the most vibrant realm of human knowledge. (On Discord)
Slipping the DISC
In almost any field of human activity, mechanisms emerge to suppress or downregulate low-quality ideas in order to maintain an institution's functions. These mechanisms become pathological when they are repurposed to suppress truth, research, and innovation that may upset or drastically alter the institution's structure, ultimately in betrayal of its purpose.
Tracking the Portal's many ideas can be difficult. These projects organize and reconvey those ideas, or develop technology to convey them.
This is the spot for those who don't have expertise in STEM, or are busy with life, but still want to help us. Whether you have only 5 minutes or unlimited time and energy, you can help us and the community.
Explore and Catalog
- Eric has a lot in his mind. Help us find and collect riffs, references, concepts, and neologisms that Eric creates, or that come up in relation to The Portal.
- Some Portal episodes and many Eric Appearances are still in need of a transcript, or have transcripts that need further editing.
- Have a look at our Portal Media spreadsheet to find the current status of any transcript.
- Let Brooke or Aardvark know which you'd like to work on. They will provide you with the necessary materials.
- Follow our Transcript Style Guide.
- Write a strong, one-sentence description of ideas on their wiki pages
- Rewrite disorganized pages on the wiki
- Build out pages that are stubs (underdeveloped).
Help to retell the story of our sciences to new generations of students
- Request visualizations of principles or constructions
- Outline sequences of thought to reach a particular idea
- Write pages on hard physical problems independent of mathematics
- Onboarding to CAD for mechanical engineering
- Contribute to realizable engineering challenge ideas to improve our world
Build a useful piece of software.
Data Visualization (d3-js, chart-js, p5-js)
- Discord Pin Archive + Management Bot
- Bot that cross posts from Eric's Instagram to the server
- Bot that relays messages across servers
- Bot that cross posts from Eric's Instagram to the server
- Twitter Archival Bot
- Twitter Bot that responds to tweets from Eric containing keywords with wiki articles.
Show us what you got!
- Learn a silly or fun drinking song, and record yourself playing or singing it, preferably with friends from The Portal
- Make a song that incorporates the podcast's music
- Are you an artist inspired by the Portal? Show us what you've made!
- Help us make visualizations and animations to go along with Eric's riffs and mathematical concepts of interest
- See what others have created on our Featured Artists page
- Write an essay, blog post, or twitter thread on a topic covered on The Portal.
Distributed Idea Suppression Complex (DISC)
Gauge Theory of Economics and the Square Root of Capitalism
Art & Artists
Artists are vital for translating the ideas of The Portal into mediums understandable by any.
Mathematics & Economics
- Dark Horse Podcast - YouTube channel
- Dark Horse Podcast - Odysee channel
- Into the Impossible Podcast by Dr. Brian Keating - YouTube channel
- Jocko Podcast - YouTube channel
- Joe Rogan Experience - YouTube channel
- The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast - YouTube channel
- Lex Fridman Podcast - YouTube channel
- 3Blue1Brown - YouTube channel for educational mathematics content
- Richard E. Borcherds - YouTube channel for mathematics lectures by Fields medalist Richard Borcherds
- Air on a Dirac String - YouTube video explaining spinors
- Sabine Hossenfelder - YouTube channel for educational physics content
- Cosmic Perspective - YouTube channel for documentaries and interviews about spaceflight
- Everyday Astronaut - YouTube channel for spaceflight news and educational content
- NASASpaceflight - YouTube channel for spaceflight news and video journalism
- Scott Manley - YouTube channel for news and educational content on spaceflight and astrophysics
- Archive.org - Online archive of books, media, and websites
- The Ellsberg Archive Project - Online archive of Daniel Ellsberg's whistleblowing activities
- Project Gutenberg - Repository for digitized books out of copyright
- Wikipedia - Free online encyclopedia
- Euclid's Elements
- LaTeX Cheat Sheet
- Math3ma - Blog by mathematician Dr. Tai-Danae Bradley with educational material
- BackReaction - Blog by Dr. Sabine Hossenfelder
- Astral Codex Ten - Blog by Scott Alexander, of former Slate Star Codex
- Common Sense - Newsletter by Bari Weiss featuring journalism, interviews, and guest columns on "curiosity about the wrong topics"
- Continuing Ed - Blog by whistleblower Edward Snowden writing about civil liberties and technology
- Natural Selections - Blog by evolutionary biologist Dr. Heather Heying about biology and culture
- New Discourses - Website by James Lindsay on the workings of social justice ideologies
- Quillette - Online magazine for free thought
- Audacity - Free audio editing tool
- Blender - Free 3D modeling, rendering, and animation tool
- Figma - Free web design and diagramming tool
- Gimp - Free image editing tool
- Inkscape - Free vector graphic tool
- Krita - Free image editing/drawing tool
- Resolve - Free video editing tool
- Jupyter Notebooks - Free interactive Python environment
- Manim - Animation python code used to create the videos on 3Blue1Brown
- Spyder - Interactive development environment for scientific python
- WordPress - Free and open source software for developing websites