Theory of Death
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- cancer vs. aging
- germline wipes out state (when you die, state gets wiped out, unless it has been shared into culture)
- Immortal jellyfish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii
- "things that fly live longer than things that don't"
- Don't waste too much time exploring what nature has had plenty of time to explore by herself
Notes from Truth
- convex hull approach. look at all the weird species/examples which come close to doing something extreme. see how they fail.
- hydra. low level organism effectively immortal. sexual version senseces, asexual version has immortality. what does that tell us about sexuality, death, and senescence? - immortal jelly fish - lobsters appear to undergo obligate growth. keep growing or die. - syndrome X - progeriate. - peter's/ petos? paradox - long-lived aquatic live. greenland sharks, whales, things that fly, big animals. - systems in which we don't get cancer. we don't get heart/neural cancer. very low rates of mitosis repair - brisstle cone pines - salamanders and neuts - rhisomes. quaking aspin.
List of Extremophiles