Transcripts to be Made
Jump to navigation Jump to search
To see our progress, check out The Portal Media Progress.
Add Podcast Episode Information to Wiki
- Find new episodes of The Portal Podcast.
- Create a page for the podcast episode. Here's the list of All Episodes. Edit the page and add the newest episode there. Let logic lead you down the path.
- Put the description paragraph at the top of the document. (You may be tempted to put a heading above the intro paragraph called "Description". Resist this temptation. If you put that heading, the Table of Contents will be put at the very top of the document. This will make the "next" and "previous" navigation hard to find.)
- Add the thumbnail using the format of this URL. All you have to do is change the YouTube ID in the URL to get the large thumbnail for any video. Look at how the other pages do this and copy that to the new page.
- Make sure to include the buttons: next, prev, mp3, art19, etc.
Join the Transcripts Discord
- Get on in here and say hi: The Portal Transcripts Discord
Pick an Episode that You'd Like to Work On
- Go to the #general channel and tell us which episode you'd like to do some work on. We'll point you in the right direction.
See What Status It's In
- You can see the status of all the transcripts in the The Portal Media Progress doc.
Working on a Transcript
Make a Machine Readable Version
- Get the MP3 (from the episode wiki page)
- Import the MP3 into Descript
- Export a VTT file from Descript
- Check the "Remove ums/uhs Checkbox"
- Upload VTT file to wiki
- Link VTT file in The Portal Media Progress
Run Through Alex's VTT Conversion Program
Find the VTT Conversion Program on Github. Then either:
- Download the .zip with the Windows executable inside from GitHub and run it.
Regardless of which one you choose, you can then:
- open the output '_wiki.txt' file
- Paste into Wiki
Make Human-Made Version
- Add your name to the "Responsibility" column in The Portal Media Progress, so people know who to contact with questions.
- Make edits to the wiki. All progress will be tracked in the "View History" tab.
- Once you feel like you're done, change the Transcript Status to "Human-Made" in The Portal Media Progress.
Update VTT file with Human-Made Version
- Upload the MP3 file to Descript
- Make sure file is in right format to be imported into Descript.
- Export VTT file
- Upload back to wiki. Make sure you use the same filename, so that a new version of the file is created.
Run Through VTT Parser to Make Wiki-Friendly Text
- Paste new version to wiki.
- Update "Transcript Notes".
Annotating a Transcript
Create a table here for other media the community finds relevant or useful.