The Portal Projects Group
The Portal Group exists to facilitate community projects in service to the ideas expressed by Eric Weinstein on The Portal Podcast and elsewhere. We use Discord to organize and communicate, and we track projects on the wiki. We have also developed a user database (by cam#4507) to keep track of the community's skills and interests, while also using Google Drive to store files.
|The Portal Group|
|Topic||The Portal Community|
The Portal Podcast
|Start Date||6 February 2020|
|The Portal Discords||List|
How do I access the other channels?Edit
New members automatically receive the Newb role upon entering the server, which limits them to posting in the #lobby-and-introductions channel. If you demonstrate an interest in making or contributing, or show something you've previously made, you will receive access to the rest of the server.
If you don't have much to show, consider contributing to the wiki. We aim to aggregate agentic people, who take lead with their work and show instead of tell with minimal outside direction, and can also collaborate with others.
How can I contribute?Edit
The Portal Group is not here to tell you what to do, it is here to remove obstacles and make your work easier. Veteran members of the community, who have contributed to a project or accomplished an ambitious task, are to be sought out for advice. Those who do work are quickly integrated.
There is much freedom in selecting your approach these goals, but the ones that tend to last are overall simple. An idea's simplicity does not imply it is unintelligent or incapable, but rather it has a large impact relative to its underlying assumptions and complexity in execution.
How shouldn't I contribute?Edit
Conversation without aim distracts from productivity, so we have little open conversation on the Projects server. If you want to have wandering conversations about the Podcast, see The Portal Discords. We aim to exclude disruptive behavior, that which distracts or is disrespectful to members.
Additionally, if your ideas cannot be given a strong form or body, then they cannot act on the world. We wish to focus on ideas that generate results and avoid areas that don't. Areas that especially don't pay off include arbitrary crypto schemes or the purchase of an island.
Who are Brooke, Brandon and Tim?
Tim, Brandon, and Brooke coordinate closely to manage The Portal Group and plan for its future.
Brooke works closely with Eric. Through developing The Portal Blog, transcribing all content featuring Eric Weinstein and her frequent conversations with him, she is the best judge for how projects match up to the values of the Portal. If you have a high value project, it is worth showing her.
Brandon is a professional web developer and consultant. He runs the Discord server, built the website and projects databases, and set up the wiki. He coordinates day to day management when he isn't deep in dev projects.
Tim is an Australian mathematics student who spends much of his time studying various topics in Differential Geometry and Algebraic Topology with guidance from Eric.
This is the list of core members who keep the ship running. For a full list of participants in Portal projects, see https://users.theportal.wiki/.
Roles and CommandsEdit
Discord Server Roles
Roles on the Discord server identify users' project interests and capabilities, and also restrict or enable permissions.
- Newb - Every new user gets this role. It will be removed once you start contributing to the community.
- Announcements - If you'd like to be notified of Announcements or Office Hours sessions, this is a good role to give yourself. (This is one of the few roles that users can add and remove themselves.)
- Welcoming Committee
- Acting Spammy
- A Bit Too Much
- Squeaky Wheel
- Climbing the Cliff
- Convex Hull
- Mobile App
- Portal Blog
- Portal Book Club Organizers
- Portal Clips
- Portal Merch
- Portal Visualizations
- Riffs to Animate
- Russell Conjugation
- Wiki Maintenance
Discord Bot Commands
We've configured a bot with several helpful commands. Also, several less-than-helpful commands.
- !commands - Shows a link to this wiki page listing all the commands.
- !faq - Questions that have been frequently asked, here are.
- !rules - Lists our extensive set of strict and burdensome rules.
- !show - Provides an animated GIF kindly asking you to share your work.
- !chitchat - Gives a reminder that the projects server isn't for idle chitchat. Provides a link to The Portal Discords.
- !reiterate - Gives a re-reminder that the projects server isn't for idle chitchat. Provides another link to The Portal Discords.
- !startup - Oh. You don't want to make a project. You want to make a startup company. Let's dig into ramifications.
- !gu - It's fun to consider how demanding the Theory of Geometric Unity truly is.
Our bot also has several less-than-helpful commands.