Eric Weinstein Quotes
We are collecting Quotes from Eric so we may use them for anything we want in the future.
- Add any quote you like
- Help adding sources so we know all of these are really quotes. Make sure to include a link if possible. If you're quoting from a long piece (e.g a podcast) give a timestamp, or another useful pointer in the case of long texts.
- Keep the format consistent between quotes.
See also: Eric Weinstein Glossary of Terms
- "The unthinkable is misnamed."
- "We are now gods, but for the wisdom." (source: Joe Rogan Experience #1320, 2:46:34)
- Full Quote:
- "these things, which while complicated, succumb to our intellects - they're much simpler than we ever imagined. to be able to create something that normally happens in the Sun - on an island in the Pacific. or to be able to rewrite a cell the way craig Venter did - synthetic biology. we are now gods, but for the wisdom"
- "When it's time to leave, don't wait for the bread to rise" (source)
- “Don’t be afraid to fool yourself into thinking that life is meaningful and that, against all odds, you have an important part to play in the world. If it’s all meaningless you‘ll have done no harm lying to yourself. And if by some chance this matters, you will waste less time.” (source: Twitter)
- "What I think theoretical physics has failed to do it hasn't build a portal for most people to even understand what the issues are what are the objects what is the game." (source: Joe Rogan Show #1203)
- "The fear that happens when you start swimming away from the shore that you’re not going to find a next island before your strength gives out. I think it’s very rational to be afraid of thinking for yourself because you may very easily find yourself at odds with the community on which you depend. And I think for some of us, it’s just a compulsive behavior. It’s not even necessarily the smartest evolutionary strategy. It’s just hard to do it any other way." (source: The Tim Ferriss Show Episode 131)
- Double Island rules “I) if an intelligent person is making a point that sounds stupid, begin by assuming it is counterintuitive. II) if an intelligent person is making a point that sounds obvious, begin by assuming they are saying something subtle.“ (source: twitter)
- “Every subject is much easier than the people who wish to make money teaching it would have you know" (Partial, source:)
- “My four things I care about are truth, meaning, fitness and grace" (partial, source:)
- Lex Friedman: "What do you hope your legacy is?" Eric: "i hope my legacy is accurate" (source: AI Podcast #88, 2:43:15)
- "Everybody with a very different experience is more important to me than everyone with the standard experience." (source: Joe Rogan Experience #1320, 2:04:22)
- "In a world in which no one will cover the goddamn story, you're looking for the outlet that will." (source: ep. 26 with James O’Keefe)
- "Once you understand that there's sort of this weird rule, which is if all of us pretend that thing isn't happening, then the idea is, no one has to cover it. No one has to discuss what it is." (source: ep. 26 with James O’Keefe)
- "My contention is anytime you move private life into the public sector, it appears bizarre and is incredibly damaging." (source: ep. 26 with James O’Keefe)
These are some other places online that have a collection of Eric quotes. Note: this doesn't ensure they're real, and these don't qualify as a source. We still need to find where he said the the quote and add it as a source to know he did.
you can also go through the transcripts of episodes to look for good quotes.
if you're on PC, you can get the URL for a specific time by simply right clicking the video, and clicking "copy video URL at current time"
Not on PC
If you're not on a PC it might be a bit more complicated, and you'll need to copy the URL and edit it yourself, like so:
Depending on the URL, there are two ways to add a timestamp to the video:
&t=1m30s or ?t=1m30s
Use the ampersand one if the URL includes a question mark, like if it ends in
watch?v=Sf5FfA1j590. Short URLs that are listed as youtu.be don't have a question mark, so those needs to use the second one above.
Here are two examples that jump to the same point in the video: